Your health MUST come first!
If 2020 has taught us anything, it's that collectively we need to stop ignoring this global slide into being overweight and unhealthy and we must start to prioritise our overall health above the unnecessary stresses of our daily lives. The Coronavirus pandemic has highlighted the devastating impact that is eventually felt as a result of being overweight or obese, both of which are usually self-inflicted and avoidable. Both are almost always, with the right guidance, completely reversible.
By breaking a dramatic lifestyle change into small, bite-sized steps every single one of us can manage to take control of our health and wellbeing in a way that otherwise seems insurmountable.
Despite being aware of the dangers of being obese or even ‘just’ overweight, too many of us ignore our participation in the negative trend the whole world is following.
Nearly 2 billion people worldwide are overweight or obese, and an increasing proportion of those people are in Asia. This is a relatively recent trend in human history, but it did not just creep up on us. Nor is it unavoidable, but we need to act now.
Here are 6 of the most important long and short-term health benefits you can get when you start to live a healthier lifestyle if you are overweight:
- You will be less likely to develop Type-2 Diabetes. Eating sensibly, especially when combined with a regular exercise regime has been shown to greatly reduce and even reverse your chance of getting type-2 diabetes.
- You will be less likely to have high blood pressure. As your waist size shrinks, blood pressure typically comes down in proportion if it was high to begin with. This is because waist size is a good indicator of unhealthy visceral fat.
- You will live longer and have better life quality as you age. Being obese is associated with a higher all-cause mortality rate. This means that your chance of dying from almost any disease increases. Obese people (and super skinny people) are also more likely to suffer debilitating injuries like broken bones as they age.
- You will have fewer cardiac issues and be less likely to die from stroke. People who exercise regularly and are not overweight tend to have a greatly reduced risk of cardiac events and a better survival rate from stroke compared to obese populations.
- You will be more likely to remain mentally sharp as you get older. The poor handling of blood glucose that comes with being overweight or obese is associated with dementia and reduced mental clarity as we age. This is reduced by staying at a healthy weight and fat level.
- You will have a reduced incidence and risk from severe contagious illnesses like coronaviruses and flu. Overweight and obese people often suffer from a weaker immune system and increased inflammation in their lungs. This makes it easier to catch all kinds of diseases that are airborne or transmitted by water-droplets.
You can make a difference to your own health.
Starting by making changes to small bad habits, replacing them with small good habits. Making continued, incremental changes to your lifestyle will mean that you are able to comfortably and sustainably change your life for the better.
Day in, day out we help clients change their lives by building healthier habits that lead to sustainable changes. Below are just a few of the hundreds of dramatic lifestyle transformations achieved by ATP Personal Training clients:
Kieran lost 18kg and got shredded
Kieran decided to step up his fitness game and get in proper shape. He knew that fat loss was something he wanted to achieve but now he's come to realise this was just part of the journey to living a healthy, sustainable lifestyle.
Dorothy shrank her waist by 15cm!
Before she joined ATP, Dorothy was feeling out of shape and almost gave up on her body with a lot of excessive eating. Now She is so much slimmer, fitter, and healthier than before! More importantly, her mindset has changed and she is able to understand what a healthy lifestyle is and be far more conscious of her food and exercise.
Jason beat his pre-diabetes
When Jason found out he was pre-diabetic, it really shook him up and decided there and then that he needed to make lasting changes if he wanted to live a long and healthy life and be able to spend quality time with his family. Jason did just that and one year later he's still in amazing shape and health.
Lloyd lost 20kg in 20 weeks!
Lloyd says he has more confidence in himself, both physically and mentally after working with his ATP Personal Training coach. His weight loss of 20kg has completely changed his life and his health for the better!
Abby Says She's Improved 1000%
Abby started out at ATP by telling us "I just want to feel better about myself and to create a long term sustainable plan that keeps me focused and on track." Now she's lost an incredible 7kg and 6 inches from her waist, and gained the confidence to make the right decisions about her health.
A healthy mind in a healthy body
Benoit realised that the human body is flexible and able to adapt, so much so that with planning and a little care, he can still socialize while staying fit. You don’t have to miss out on anything or choose between health and a social life.
The changes in his mind and body make him feel confident and healthy, and he says his mind feels sharper, like when he was younger.
Janna wanted a lifestyle change
She dropped 15 kg in 12 weeks, and that's only the beginning. Janna says she's far more educated about nutrition, makes better choices, and doesn't feel the need to stress eat like she used to.
Michael lost 16kg of fat!
Michael wanted to get in shape so that he could keep up with his kids as they got older. He came to ATP wanting to lose belly fat but he went one better, building muscle at the same time as dropping a huge amount of fat, including losing 6 inches off his waistline. He said he is in much better shape in all aspects, stronger, better posture, more energy and a smaller waistline!
Victoria, "being a mum is easier now"
She says she's become more confident as a person and as a mother, feeling healthier, fitter and stronger every day. She feel that she can confidently go out with her two children and physically look after them both - lugging a car seat in and out of taxis and keeping a 3-year-old close isn't as hard work anymore!
We recommend our personal training programs as the best way to get in-shape and healthy for the short-term and for the long-term. We can help you will all aspects of achieving a sustainable healthy lifestyle, from diet to lifestyle choices and habits, and of course exercise.
Everyone benefits from the experience we have to offer! You can get started now, simply complete and submit the form below. Or read more about what we offer for clients like yourself at the links below.