Sleep your way to a Better Brain
Anyone who has ever stayed up all night cramming for a test will agree that it’s very difficult to concentrate the next day. In the same way that your body feels tired, the cells in your brain have not had a chance to rest and so they too are sluggish and don’t feel much like doing anything. What this translates to on a physical level, is that your neural cells will transmit signals more slowly, meaning it will be harder to focus, stay attentive or even make good decisions. We are more likely to care less about things that are usually important to us and we are even more prone to forgetting things, especially new information.
Getting a good night’s sleep allows your brain to recharge so that it can focus better the following day.
Higher levels of creativity
6 very quick tips for better sleep:
- Activate the blue light filter on your phone and laptop
- Keep your bedroom nice and cool
- Don’t drink too much water before bed to reduce the likelihood of getting up in the night to use the bathroom
- Don’t drink a lot of alcohol or eat a huge meal right before bed
- Try to meditate for a few minutes each day to give your brain a chance to be still before bedtime
- Keep your mobile phone in another room while you sleep (and buy an alarm clock if necessary)
Sleeping well can help you be more creative and retain more information more effectively. This in turn will make you more productive and more successful as a result. Give it a try; sleep your way to success!